Is Your Outside Spigot Leaking? We Offer Repair & Replacement Services
Your outside spigot (or hose bibb) is the water source on the outside of your home. Most connect their hose to it, but it offers countless other helpful uses as well. The only problem? It can be prone to leak if not properly maintained. Fortunately, our crew is here to ensure homeowners in Naperville, Aurora, and more don’t have to stress about it.
Why Is My Outside Spigot Leaking?
If you’ve noticed your outside spigot has a small leak, it may not seem like a huge deal. But keep in mind that those small drips can add up fast, causing a noticeable increase on your next water bill. Along with this, spigot leaks can cause foundation damage and make you more likely to experience water in your home, too. In the end, it’s not an issue to ignore.
What are the most common causes of outside spigot leaks?
- Pipe Damage: If your pipes become frozen, clogged, or damaged, it’s going to affect the quality of the spigot as well.
- Worn-out Washers: It’s not uncommon for the washer on your spigot to become worn out or damaged. In these cases, simply replacing it might solve your problem.
- Loose Retaining Nut: Another common problem is a loose retaining nut. Tighten it up and see if that resolves your constant drip. If not, it’s back to the drawing board.
- It’s Too Old: Sometimes, your outside spigot is simply too old, in which case it’s time to get a new one. Our team is just a phone call away, and we would be happy to get a quality model installed, so that you don’t have to worry about leaks again anytime soon.
There are a few different ways you can attempt to repair your outdoor spigot yourself, but if you’ve tried and tried and your leak still persists, then it’s time to call us in before any more water is wasted (or damage is done). Whether it’s a more intricate repair or the spigot needs to be replaced altogether, we’ve got the tools and know-how to help you out.
Outside Spigots & Winter Weather
One of the most effective ways you can keep your outdoor spigot in good condition for the long haul is by ensuring it stays protected during the winter months. So, what can be done to avoid damage during those freezing months we’re all too familiar with here in this part of the country?
Fortunately, winterizing your outside spigot isn’t a complicated task, and it’s well worth getting done early to avoid any hassle with repairs come spring. Just follow these steps:
- Turn off the water supply to the spigot.
- Disconnect the attached hose, if applicable. (You’ll also want to drain your hose, then store it safely in a garage or shed to keep it in good condition.)
- Turn the spigot on to drain out any remaining water.
- Install a reliable cover that offers a tight, reliable seal.
And that’s all there is to it!
Questions or Concerns? Please Reach Out!
If you have any questions regarding your outside spigot (or any other plumbing-related concerns), please give us a call at 630-978-9696, and we’d be happy to help you out. Or, if you know what you need and are ready to schedule an appointment, simply book online today. We’re honored you’ve chosen us!
Our plumbing services crew knows exactly how to help with your gas line installation, so give us a call!